Thursday 21 July 2011

Hello elephant, I didn't here you come in...

Well...I don't think I've ever been to the gym four days in a row in my life...but I have now! The exercise is going great, and I've not felt this good in a long time. I've stuck with the treadmill and admittedly it's starting to grow on me. I decided to take it a bit easier on the treadmill today and after finishing my run early, decided to do some upper body work with weights, and that's when the elephant in the room caught my eye.

As I was preparing to improve my admittedly feeble upper body strength I looked across at the bench press and saw a guy whom I recognised. I've never formally met him, nor do I even know his name, but I have seen him around many times. The last time I saw him was probably 3 - 4 months ago and he looked entirely normal...but now?...he was almost as wide as he was tall. His arms were almost comical proportions relative to his height and covered in stretch marks, not to mention the steroid acne all over his upper back and neck.

Now I'm not trying to launch a Caio Terra style rant, but it still takes me by surprise when I see guys up close and personal who've been using it. Granted you regularly see it in the news and sports articles.

For me personally, it's an unworthy sacrifice - from what I can gather there are a massive amount of damaging side effects. I'd take my regular, if slightly disappointing physique, any day of the week. What are your thoughts? Comments below or on the Facebook page.

In the meantime I'm off to watch Demian Maia's "Science of Jiu Jitsu" - I absolutely love his style and instruction, and will probably get a review done for you all shortly. I did give Drysdale's instructional a go, but as much as I love him as a competitor, his style was just a bad fit for me. Until my next update...

No comments:

Post a Comment