Saturday 5 May 2012

Why the UFC should jump on the Toquinho hype train

I'm going to open with two bold statements; 1) I was a Toquinho hipster; I thought he was brilliant long before he gained mainstream popularity. I'm an avid MMA autograph collector and began scouring the internet for something he'd signed, but to no avail (I did finally get his autograph at ADCC 2011. From the first time I saw him slap an armbar on Ivan Salaverry I thought he was something special. 2) He WILL beat Belcher. I mean no disrespect to Belcher, I think he's a fantastic, exciting fighter, and I'm delighted that he has overcome such adversity with regards to injuries, but I just can't see him winning tonight (especially in light of the fact that he thinks he can roll with Toquinho on the ground).

But back to my initial point; I've always thought Rousimar was exciting - his tenacity, his physique, his sheer ecstasy when he wins, his absolutely savage submissions and his heart-wrenching story. Followers of the Facebook page may recall my mirth when his participation in last year's ADCC was announced, whilst many BJJ purists were crying that he was 'just a UFC fighter who could do heel hooks'. Well, somewhere between him shoulder pressing a competitor, mincing Avellan's knee, and taking pound-for-pound kingpin Galvao the distance, the purists started to sing from a different hymn sheet. Pretty soon, MMA diehards and casuals alike also started clamoring to see the man affectionately nicknamed 'Paul Harris'. I think Murillo Bustamante (MMA legend and coach of Palhares) put it best when he explained that fellow competitors are genuinely scared of Palhares; Alan Belcher even admitted as much. If you don't win, there's a very realistic chance that you're going to spend the night in hospital. Come fight night he's about 210 lbs of solid muscle, where he marches down opponents and rips them with vicious hooks, just long enough until he can get a hold of one of their limbs.

Now I appreciate that the UFC are reluctant to throw their weight behind someone who doesn't speak English, but not since the heyday of Wanderlei, Shogun and Fedor have I seen fans so vehemently embrace a fighter. GSP is widely loved and respected, but has alienated many with his fighting style. Jon Jones is a phenomenal talent, but his arrogance combined with an over-investment by the UFC has alienated many fans also. Toquinho however drives fans into a frenzy with his fighting style, and they also love his emotional back story (he genuinely grew up with nothing - youtube the emotional interview), and those who have met him will testify to what a truly genuine guy he is. Visit any MMA website or discussion board and you will see just how the fans feel about him, with memes and jokes aplenty. Granted he has been somewhat of a loose cannon (see the Marquardt and early cage climbing incidents) but this only adds to his enigma. If (when) he defeats Belcher, the UFC should stop wasting him on mid-card fights and throw him in with an equally exciting fighter. Brazilian fans are still reeling from losing the rematch of the century in Anderson Silva - Chael Sonnen, I'm sure they'd get over it if they were gifted a Palhares No. 1 contender's match

No comments:

Post a Comment